Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chaos Daemons Progress Report

Greetings, everyone!

While I may have only mentioned my daemons army a couple of times, the time has come to actually make a post dedicated to them.


Since I started the army, I have placed high in a few tourneys, gotten a few conversion ideas, and made a couple of trades. As such, the daemons have been growing remarkably fast for an army that I am not spending any money on.

My army is roughly 1500-1600 points now, assuming that I don't give everything a ton of dumb upgrades. Here is a list of daemon things I have, as well as how I obtained them without spending any cash:

2 Tzeentch heralds on chariots (converted from stuff bought w/ store cred from tourneys)

28 pink horrors (store cred from tourneys)

10 bloodletters (store cred from tourneys)

10 fiends of slaanesh (converted w/ stuff from store cred from trading)

2 daemons princes (1 converted from stuff bought w/ store cred from tourneys, 1 scratch converted)


The daemons have really become more of a modelling project than I'd have liked, but I've been jumping whenever I see something I can convert. I will be honest though, I'm pretty proud of my conversions. It makes the army feel much more personalized. I will attempt to get some pictures soon.

Anyway, I have been basing my lists (and units I get) off of a technique I developed very recently. Below is my 1500 point list with infomation on the technique/tactics I use with each unit.


HQ:

-Herald of Tzeentch, Master of Sorcery, We Are Legion, Bolt of Tzeentch, Chariot of Tzeentch

-Herald of Tzeentch, Master of Sorcery, We Are Legion, Bolt of Tzeentch, Chariot of Tzeentch

Being jetbikes, these guys can hover outside of assault range and bring down tansports with bolt. Their job is also to flank medium tanks like predators or vindicators and get side armor shots. They can do all this while splitting their fire and bringing down marines with their 24" S5 AP3 assault 3 gaze.


Elites:

-5 Fiends of Slaanesh, 1 has Unholy Might

-5 Fiends of Slaanesh, 1 has Unholy Might

Unless I roll badly, fiends can pretty much beat or match about anything in combat. 6 rending attacks per dude on the charge at S5-6 is pretty brutal. Especially when you strike before marines. Oh yeah...and they are beasts. I primarily use fiends to bust me out of tough situations, break an enemy line, or hang back and give me a devastating counter-charge. They are the type of unit that has a lot of utility, and they are a bargain for their point costs.


Troops:

-6 Pink Horrors, Bolt of Tzeentch, Changeling

-6 Pink Horrors, Bolt of Tzeentch

-6 Pink Horrors, Bolt of Tzeentch

-6 Pink Horrors, Bolt of Tzeentch

Probably one of the least point efficient units in the game, but the only troops choice I can take that has the ability to shoot and pop tanks. Luckily, 4+ invulns keep these guys alive, even in smaller squads. Since most people castle up against daemons, I've seen success in surrounding your enemy with horrors. The horrors can shoot stuff up, and when the enemy tries to charge them, it's good to have something scary hiding behind them for a counter-charge.

-7 Bloodletters

Super cheap unit that will pretty much wipe out any space marine unit before it gets to attack. Bloodletters get misused a lot, though, since people always just deepstrike them right in front of the enemy. While my experience with bloodletters is limited, I use them as a counter-charge unit and hide them behind terrain near the horrors.


Heavy Support:

-Daemon Prince, Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch

Not very cost efficient, but he is BS5, and he helps fill the gap in the daemons codex where mass, ranged, anti-tank should be. This guy really doesn't matter a lot in some games, so from time to time it is fun to just deep strike him behind the enemy and try to get him into the assault.

-Daemon Prince, Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Iron Hide, Noxious Touch, Cloud of Flies, Daemonic Gaze

A lot of points go into this daemon prince, but he is tough (T6, 3+, 5++, W4), killy (Avg. of 6 dead marines before they can attack when he charges), and fast (jump infantry). A very good counter-charge unit. He is also able to jump on badly positioned units pretty well.


So, my list comes to 1500 on the dot, and as you can see, my technique revolves heavily on trapping my enemy and getting off a lot of good counter-charges while using the horrors as bait. It has worked well so far, but I have a lot to learn.

Anyway, this is the stage that the daemons are at. I will make it a goal to get a picture battle report to you guys by the end of the week with my daemons.

Oh, and one more thing. Mostly due to my recent tourney victory that Jaybie posted about, I have about $70 store credit that I will spend on the daemons. What do you think I should get? I am thinking Fateweaver perhaps...or 8 more fiends to give me 3 units of 6.


Hope you all are having a nice Spring Break!

-Kasrkar


No comments:

Post a Comment